Update of 28th May 2018:
- Anne O’Connor’s former colleague Frank Kennedy has asked her to pass on the following information about an event on 7 June which may be of interest to anyone in the Liverpool area:
Update of 26th May 2018:
The June 2018 issue of the NW NJPN E BULLETIN is packed with news, articles and a full diary including a parallel programme of events in Liverpool from 7-9 September around the National Eucharistic Pilgrimage and Congress of the Bishops of England and Wales. Also featured is the rousing address, with its strong Justice and Peace content, by the US Leader of the Episcopal Church, Rev Michael Curry, at the wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle.
This issue is being mailed only to those who have responded to the new Data Protection regulations (see notes below). Do please pass the bulletin on to others and encourage them to sign up: please contact the Editor, Anne O’Connor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Update of 23rd May 2018:
- Here is the latest issue of MouthPeace, available to view here on the website, just a few days in advance of the circulation of the printed copies: MP 102 Summer 2018
N.B: This issue comes with this message from the Editor:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING DATA PROTECTION
As you may be aware, Data Protection legislation is changing on May 25th 2018 and I need your express permission if you want to continue to receive MouthPeace by email. I will continue to protect your privacy and not share your email details with anyone.
Please reply to this email stating clearly that you are happy to continue to receive Mouthpeace by email to email@example.com Your contact email will be removed from MouthPeace distribution list if you do not give permission for us to hold this information.
Many thanks, Marian Thompson, Editor MouthPeace
Update of 1st May 2018:
Syria and Windrush are just two of the current hot topics covered in a bumper edition of the NW NJPN E Bulletin for May 2018. A diverse range of articles includes the UK Government’s proposals to tackle plastic pollution, a first-hand report on local community projects in the Philippines, peace issues, book and theatre reviews, as well as a packed diary of events across the NW region.
- Readers are reminded of the NEW DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS. Data Protection legislation is changing in May 2018 and we need your express permission if you want to continue to receive information from the North West National Justice and Peace Network by email – this includes the regular E Bulletin and occasional seasonal Resources.
- We will continue to protect your privacy and promise never to share your email details with anyone. Please reply to the Editor, Anne O’Connor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by email by 18 MAY, stating clearly that you are happy to continue to receive email communications from NW NJPN.
- If you do not reply we will not be allowed to send you any further bulletins or resources.
- If you have already responded to a similar request from the National J&P Network you will still have to respond to this email, as we cover the NW region only. However readers from outside our region are still very welcome and we would be delighted to continue to include you in our mailings. Apologies if you are on more than one North West list – you only need respond once.
- Please state your full name, email address and, only if you are willing, your parish and or diocese – this is purely to get an idea of the geographical spread of our readers and will not be used for marketing purposes or passed on to others. If you wish to make any comments or suggestions to help improve the bulletin they will be treated in complete confidence.
Update of 28th March 2018:
The April issue of the NW NJPN E Bulletin leads with CAFOD’s joyful response to the news that Oscar Romero is to be declared a Saint. Two young people from very different backgrounds are featured: a 16-year-old former migrant and Muslim girl, winner of the Columban’s young journalist competition, celebrating the love and acceptance shown by her local Catholic school community and a rousing speech, inspired by Dr Martin Luther King, from an 18-year-old African-American student from a poor area of Chicago at the March For Our Lives anti-gun rally in the US, a movement organised by teenagers following the Florida school mass shooting. Inspirational words too from Professor Stephen Hawkins, who died recently, nearly fifty years after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease, and the profound last words of Internet guru Steve Jobs plus reports of recent events, a book review of a chilling undercover operation to discover how the low-waged are treated in Britain, and a comprehensive diary of events across the NW for April to June.
We wish all our readers the joys and blessings of the Easter season. Anne O’Connor
Update of 2nd March 2018:
The NW NJPN E Bulletin for March opens with a letter from several leading charities working overseas including OXFAM, CAFOD, Christian Aid and Save the Children, pledging stricter safe-guarding controls in response to the recent scandal reported in The Times. There is also a first-hand account by peace activist Henrietta Cullinan of her recent trial and acquittal for non-violent direct action in protest against the DSEI Arms Fair in London. Regional reports feature alongside national campaigns and the usual packed diary of local events.
Update of 21st February 2018:
- Here’s the latest issue of MouthPeace magazine, available a few days in advance of the circulation of the printed copies: MP 101 Spring 2018
Update of 20th January 2018:
The February NW NJPN Newsletter has a packed diary of events around the region plus in-depth articles and reports of recent events.
- See our Resources Page for Lent 2018 leaflets: Lenten Journey, Stations of the Cross, and Stations of the Cross for Young People.
Update of 12th December 2017:
The December issue of the NW NJPN E BULLETIN opens with the response from world and religious leaders to the current crisis in the Holy Land caused by President Trump’s controversial decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. In addition to reports of current campaigns and forthcoming events in the North West there are Christmas reflections to remind us of the true spirit of the season. We wish all our readers the blessings of Christmas-time and look forward to a peaceful New Year where all God’s creation may flourish.
Update of 22nd November 2017:
- Here is the latest issue of MouthPeace – the 100th edition!
Update of 3rd October 2017:
- NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin October 2017 The October 2017 edition of the NJPN NW E Bulletin leads with the plight of the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar (Burma). There is an extensive diary of NW events plus resources for schools, groups and individuals including a Romero Pilgrimage Walk. For anyone who struggles with the current Mass wording there is an urgent request to invite our Bishops to introduce the beautiful English Mass translation composed in 1998 which the Bishops’ Conference had approved at that time.
Update of 29th August 2017:
- NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin Sept 2017 The September issue of the NW Bulletin leads with Pope Francis’ comprehensive new document on migrants and refugees which has been welcomed by CAFOD and Christian Aid. The recent racial tensions in the US are highlighted against a backdrop of the establishment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Other in-depth articles include nuclear weapons, Care for Creation and volunteering overseas plus book and film reviews and an extensive diary for the autumn.
- Here is the Autumn 2017 issue of MouthPeace: MP 99 Autumn 2017
Update of 2nd August 2017:
- NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin August 2017 The August 2017 issue of the monthly e-bulletin leads with reports from the annual NJPN Conference, held last month in Derbyshire, on the theme A Sabbath for the Earth and for the Poor: The Challenge of Pope Francis. Also featured are articles on current J&P campaigns plus obituaries of renowned dissidents Irina Ratushinska and Liu Xiaobo as well as an extensive diary of forthcoming events across the NW region.
Update of 27th June 2017:
- Here is the latest issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin July 2017
Update of 25th May 2017:
- The latest issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin May June 2017 It comes accompanied by a personal note from Anne O’Connor about the Manchester bomb outrage:
This May/June bulletin goes out in sorrow. We have lived in Manchester for 33 years, moving reluctantly at first from the Midlands but quickly coming to love the city. Our younger daughter was born here and has been to countless gigs at the Arena. Our eldest granddaughter is 8, the same age as Saffie Roussos whose life was cruelly cut short. We all share the pain and the anger of the terrorist attack but we also share the belief that the city will rise again, strengthened by the love and solidarity of its people, just as it did after the Arndale Centre bombing in 1996. Hate will not defeat us. As Manchester performance poet Tony Walsh said in his moving tribute at the Albert Square vigil, we ‘choose love.’
Apologies for the absence of a May bulletin. My 95 year-old Dad died on Easter Sunday and my time was taken up arranging his funeral.
Update of 21st May 2017:
- The latest issue of MouthPeace, available here a few days before arrival of the printed version : MP 98 Summer 2017
Update of 1st April 2017:
- The latest issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin April 2017
Update of 3rd March 2017:
- Here is the March 2017 issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: njpn-nw-justice-and-peace-e-bulletin-march-2017
Update of 27th February 2017:
- The latest issue of MouthPeace magazine: mp-97-spring-2017
Update of 13th February 2017:
- Here is the Lent 2017 leaflet prepared by Anne O’Connor for the NJPN. It contains daily actions and reflections for each day of Lent, based on the scripture readings. It is designed to be printed out in A4 3-fold format. (Also accessible from our Resources page.) lenten-journey-2017
Update of 16th January 2017:
- Here is the “bumper edition” for January-February 2017 of the latest NW NJPN E Bulletin. It features harrowing eye-witness accounts of the current situation in Kabul and of the dismantling of the Calais jungle. Other items include home affairs (Poverty Action Week), SVP initiatives, housing and homelessness in the UK, the refugee crisis, the arms trade and mental health issues as well as covering Donald Trump’s inauguration in the US plus recommended resources and a comprehensive diary of events in the North West: njpn-nw-justice-and-peace-e-bulletin-jan-feb-2017
Update of 30th November 2016:
- Here is the December 2016 issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: njpn-nw-justice-and-peace-e-bulletin-december-2016
Update of 17th November 2016:
- The latest issue of MouthPeace: mp-96-winter-2016-17
Update of 13th November 2016:
Here is the set of weekly Reflections for Advent 2016 produced by Anne O’Connor. Click on the links to download the PDFs:
- advent-reflection-2016-week-1 Prepare for the Coming of the Lord’s Kingdom
- advent-reflection-2016-week-2 Repentance
- advent-reflection-2016-week-3 Joyful expectation
- advent-reflection-2016-week-4 Saying “Yes” to God’s Plan
And here is the poster for the J&P Advent Reflection being held at Wistaston Hall on Sunday 4th December, led by Mary Kilcoyne: advent-reflection-4-12-16
Update of 31st October 2016:
- Here is the November 2016 issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: njpn-nw-justice-and-peace-e-bulletin-november-2016
Update of 26th September 2016:
- Here is the October 2016 issue of the NJPN NW e-bulletin: njpn-nw-justice-and-peace-e-bulletin-october-2016
Update of 30th August 2016:
- Here is the Autumn 2016 issue of MouthPeace: MP 95 Autumn 2016
Update of 26th August 2016:
- Here is the September 2016 issue of the NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin Sept 2016
Update of 28th July 2016:
- Here is the August 2016 issue of the NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin August 2016
Update of 30th June 2016:
- Here is the July 2016 issue of the NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin July 2016
Update of 30th May 2016:
- Here is the June 2016 issue of the NJPN NW Bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin June 2016
Update of 18th May 2016:
- Here is the Summer 2016 issue of MouthPeace: MP 94 Summer 2016
Update of 28th April 2016:
- Here is the May 2016 issue of the NJPN NW Bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin May 2016
Update of 23rd March 2016:
- Here is the April 2016 issue of the NJPN NW Bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin April 2016
Update of 28th February 2016:
- Here is the Spring 2016 issue of MouthPeace: MP 93 Spring 2016 It is available on the website just a few days in advance of the circulation of the printed version.
Update of 25th February 2016:
- Here is the March 2016 issue of NJPN NW Bulletin. It covers a wide range of issues plus tributes to two well-loved Justice and Peace activists who have died recently: Louise Zanré Da Silva, until recently Director, Jesuit Refugee Service, and Mike Simpson, former J&P Worker for Shrewsbury Diocese. NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin March 2016
Update of 22nd February 2016:
- We have received the sad new of the death of Mike Simpson. He died on Saturday 20 February at the age of eighty-five after a long period of ill health. He was a tireless worker in the cause of justice and peace, the first person to be appointed as J&P worker in Shrewsbury Diocese. May he rest in peace. Here is a note of appreciation prepared by Joan Sharples: Mike Simpson RIP
Update of 5th February 2016:
- Here are the 2016 updates of the Justice & Peace Stations of the Cross, prepared by Anne O’Connor for the NJPN. These are also accessible from the Resources section of the website: Justice and Peace Stations of the Cross 2016 (designed in A4 3-fold format) and A4 sheet Stations of the Cross for Young People (this one also accessible from our J&P Youth page)
Update of 27th January 2016:
- Here is the Lent 2016 leaflet prepared by Anne O’Connor for the NJPN. It contains daily actions and reflections for each day of Lent, based on the scripture readings. It is designed to be printed out in A4 3-fold format. (Also accessible from our Resources page.) A LENTEN JOURNEY 2016
Update of 23rd January 2016:
- Here is the Jan-Feb 2016 issue of the NJPN NW Bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin Jan- Feb 2016
Update of 3rd December 2015:
- The December issue of the NJPN NW bulletin: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin December 2015
Update of 27th November 2015:
- Here is the Winter 2015-16 issue of MouthPeace: MP 92 Winter 2015-16
- Here is the poster for the J&P Advent Reflection being held at Wistaston Hall Crewe on Sunday 6th December: Advent Reflection 6-12-15 The speaker is Terry Gorman from Aid to the Church in Need.
Update of 20th November 2015:
- Go to our Resources page for the series of Weekly Reflections for Advent 2015 prepared by Anne O’Connor.
Update of 30th October 2015:
- Here is the November issue of the NW NJPN E Bulletin – another bumper edition: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin November 2015
Update of 29th September 2015:
- The October issue of NW NJPN E Bulletin is here – please take note of diary dates and extended Resources pages: NJPN NW Justice and Peace E Bulletin October 2015
Update of 4th September 2015:
- The Autumn 2015 issue of MouthPeace is now available: MP 91 Autumn 2015
Update of 27th August 2015:
- Here is the September 2015 issue of the NJPN North West e-bulletin. This issue includes a number of items on the issues associated with refugees and asylum seekers, and a full diary listing.
Update of 27th July 2015:
- Here is the August 2015 issue of the NJPN North West e-bulletin This issue includes a full account of the 2015 NJPN annual conference at Swanwick, “The Things that Make for Peace”.
Update of 29th June 2015:
- The July 2015 issue of the NJPN North West e-bulletin is now available: NJPN North West Justice and Peace E-Bulletin July 2015
This issue includes full items and useful links relating to the 17th June Climate Change Lobby, and the Papal Encyclical Laudato Si’ .
Update of 29th May 2015:
- The June 2015 issue of the NJPN North West e-bulletin is now available: NJPN North West Justice and Peace E-Bulletin June 2015
- The Summer 2015 issue of MouthPeace will shortly be mailed. You can see it online now: MP 90 Summer 2015
Update of 1st May 2015:
- The May 2015 issue of the NJPN North West e-bulletin is now available: NJPN North West Justice and Peace E-Bulletin May 2015
NB: this version of the bulletin gives the correct date of 20th June for the Liverpool J&P Commission Annual Assembly. You may have seen an earlier version referring to 20th May – this was an error. Here is the poster for the event:
Update of 23rd February 2015:
- The Spring 2015 issue of MouthPeace will shortly be mailed. You can see it online now: MP 89 Spring 2015
- The poster gives the details of the J&P Election Planning Meeting to be held on Saturday 28 February at St Columba’s in Chester from 10.30am to 12.30pm. Members of the Commission will be available after the meeting to speak to if anybody in interested. Please bring along a packed lunch. Tea and coffee will be provided. To register for the day please contact Pauline McCulloch at the Curial Offices telephone 0151 652 9855 or email Pauline.email@example.com J&P Election Planning Meeting Poster
- Anne O’Connor has prepared updates of the two Stations of the Cross leaflets in A4 3-fold format. These are also accessible from the Resources page of this website: STATIONS OF THE CROSS 2015 STATIONS OF THE CROSS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE 2015
Update of 28th January 2015:
- Lenten Reflection: Joan Sharples and Bryan Halson started the tradition of producing a Lent reflection leaflet for Shrewsbury Diocese Justice and Peace Commission with a Scripture verse or short reflection and an action idea for each day. Anne O’Connor took over the leaflet from Joan when the Worker’s role was terminated and continues to produce this popular prayer aid, composed by former Commission member Bryan Halson, on behalf of the National Justice and Peace Network. Here is the leafet for the forthcoming season of Lent: Lenten Reflection 2015 . It may also be accessed from the Resources page.
- The February 2015 issue of NJPN North West Justice and Peace E-Bulletin February 2015 is now available. All the back numbers are viewable on the J&P bulletins page of the website.
Update of 8th January 2015:
- The January 2015 issue of NJPN North West Justice and Peace E-Bulletin January 2015 is now available. All the back numbers can be seen on the J&P e-bulletins page of the website.
- Here’s the poster for the Shrewsbury Diocese Justice and Peace Day of Reflection. This is for parish reps & anyone who is interested or involved in Justice & Peace work/issues 10.30am – 3pm St Columba’s, Plas Newton Lane, Chester CH2 1SA on Saturday January 24th. Speakers to be confirmed. Everyone is warmly invited, Bishop Mark will join us for the beginning of the day. Tea & Coffee will be provided but please bring a packed lunch.